If you think you have the eye for fashion and the ability to convince people to have either concept for themselves, then you might have a chance in this money-making profession. Although being an image consultant is not all that easy, there are ways on how to be an good and effective image consultant.
To be better acquainted with the career we have to understand the concept of “Image” first. Image is way other people look at us or the perception they have about us as people. It influences whether people will agree to our requests, hire us, and pay us the salary we want. It greatly affects a lot of things that has to do with the career that we want, the salary we could get and the way people would interact with us. Image is what gives people the idea of how we are and what we are capable of.
It may sound superficial but it is how it really is. If anyone can recall the cliché first impressions last, well that cliché has more truth to it than what it seems. No matter how intelligent and capable a person is no one will trust them if they look like bad guys in an action movie.
Thanks to this mentality, Image consulting as an industry is making waves in the recent years. Ad because of reality shows that revolve around image makeover it has become one of the most lucrative industries to be part of. Image consultants give people advice that will assist them in attaining the look that they want. Some of the areas of image consulting are:
1. Image Analysis or Makeover Consulting wherein the makeover of a person roots from. This area of image consultation focuses on the overall appearance of a person and how they should look like with regard to the career they have, their ages, and their status.
2. Fashion Styling or Wardrobe Consulting, which is more, focused on the look a person showcases. It’s all about what they should and should not purchase.
3. Makeup Analysis, which is an area that focuses on the right makeup a person and what he or she should wear on different occasions.
The three mentioned are very important physical aspects of image consultation but for good image consultants, image is more than physical form that a person has. Other than how someone looks, people also shape impressions based on how that person speaks and behaves. Consequently, image consultants also discuss with their clients other areas where people focus on to form an impression. Some of those areas include:
- Vocal communications that focus on voice, grammar, and vocabulary;
- Non-verbal communication that focus on gestures such as handshakes, bodily postures, and eye contacts; and
- Etiquette which refer to social graces, business etiquette, and dining manners.
In addition to consulting yourself, you can also form a network of strategic partners to refer clients to, such as hair stylists, makeup artists, dieticians, dentists, personal trainers, plastic surgeons, and voice coaches by doing this not only will get more clients it will also make a reputable image consultant.
It’s not easy to be an image consultant but it has it’s rewards, by learning all that you need to know about how to be an image consultant you are one step ahead in making your and other people’s dreams come true.